Sunday, August 14, 2011
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables Soup Eggless England British Europe
450g/1lb Fresh Asparagus
480ml/16fl.oz. Vegetable Stock
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Flour
Salt and Pepper
1. Cut the tips off the asparagus (about 28mm/1½ inches long), place in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, slice the remaining asparagus. Remove the tips from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and set aside then add the uncooked sliced asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 5-8 minutes, until tender
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
4. Mix the milk and stock together then add to the flour mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly and cook until thickened.
5. Drain the asparagus stems and immediately add to the soup together with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, stirring and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the tips, cook for 1 minute to heat through. Serve immediately.