Sunday, August 14, 2011
Chilled Curried Apple Soup
Serve 4 Cold Vegetarian Fruit Spices Soups Starter Hors d'oeuvre Gluten wheat Free Eggless
450g/1lb Dessert Apples
½ Onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp Curry Powder (check ingredients)
600ml/20fl.oz. Hot Fresh Vegetable Stock
½ Cinnamon Stick
150ml/5 fl.oz. Milk
6 tbsp Single Cream
Watercress to Garnish
1. Chop the apples and sprinkle with the lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, add the apples and onion. Cover and cook gently until soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the curry powder and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes stirring all the time, then add the stock and cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick. Pass the soup through a sieve or blend in a food processor until smooth. Allow to cool then stir in the milk and cream.
5. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.