Sunday, August 14, 2011
Sweet Ale Soup
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Beer Soups Starter Hors d'ouevre Belgium Europe
900ml/30fl.oz. Stout (Sweet Brown Ale)
Rind of 1 Lemon
2 Egg Yolks
1/2 Stick Cinnamon
1 teasp Ground Ginger
1 level tbsp Cornflour
3 tbsp Cold Water
1. Place the beer, lemon rind, cinnamon and ginger in a large saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the cornflour and cold water to a smooth paste.
3. Add a few spoonfuls of the hot beer to the cornflour mixture then add the cornflour mixture to the beer, stirring constantly.
4. Continue to simmer the soup gently for a further 10 minutes stirring from time to time.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks and milk.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg mixture to the soup from the heat, add to the soup stirring constantly.
7. Return to a very low heat and cook gently, without boiling, until heated through. Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.