Sunday, August 14, 2011
Chilled Pea and Mint Soup
Serves 6 Cold Vegetarian Vegetables Soups Starter Hors d'oeuvre Sweden Europe
4 Sprigs of Mint
2 Onions, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
210ml/7fl.oz. Sparkling White Wine
900ml/1½ pints Strong Vegetable Stock
270ml/9fl.oz. Double Cream
450g/1lb Frozen Peas
Salt and White Pepper
1 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
Tabasco Sauce to Taste
Greek Yoghurt to serve
1. Remove the mint leaves from the stalks, reserving both the stalks and leaves.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, garlic and mint stalks and sauté gently until softened.
3. Add white wine to the pan, bring to the boil then continue to cook until the wine has almost evaporated.
4. Add the stock, cream and peas and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove the mint stalks and cool a little. Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Chill.
6. To serve - Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the elderflower cordial and a few drops of Tabasco then swirl some yogurt into the soup. Chop the reserved mint leaves, sprinkle on top and serve cold.