Saturday, July 30, 2011
Green Peas Sandwich
Chock full of nutrients required for growth, green peas make a surprising filling for sandwiches!
Cooking Time : 10 mins.
Preparation Time : 15 mins.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
8 brown bread slices, lightly buttered
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
To be mixed into a filling
1 cup green peas, boiled and crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
¼ cup thousand island dressing, recipe below
Salt to taste
For the thousand island dressing (makes approx. ¼ cup)
2 tablespoons thick curds (dahi)
1 tablespoon cream
½ teaspoon mustard (rai/sarson) powder
½ teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons tomato ketchup
¼ teaspoon chilli sauce
1 teaspoon chopped pickled cocktail onions
1 teaspoon chopped capsicum
¼ teaspoon chopped green chillies
Salt to taste
For the thousand island dressing
1. Whisk the curds and cream thoroughly to ensure that no lumps remain.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
How to proceed
1. Toast the bread slices on both sides on a tava (griddle).
2. Arrange the tomato slices on 4 toasted bread slices. Sprinkle some salt over the tomatoes.
3. Top with the filling mixture and cover with the remaining 4 slices of toasted bread to make 4 sandwiches. Serve hot.
If your kids are fussy, be innovative and cut the sandwiches into different shapes like triangles, circles or even teddy bears or pussycats.